Monday 28 October 2013

You can sleep when you graduate

The Bedlam Hallowe'en party was this weekend and I was faced with the quintessential student dilemna: the party started at half midnight and ended at five in the morning, but I had a commitment at nine the next day and a full day of studenting thereafter. On top of this, this was my projected final Bedlam Hallowe'en party, so I decided to do the immature thing and just stay up all night and complain about it later, because I can be mature when I'm older.
I had a great time, got quite smashed, danced a lot and then was chased down by the corridor by this ghoulish spectre:
by the light of day, she doesn't seem so horrifying, but at the time I was so scared, I actually fell onto the cold, unforgiving floor of the Box Office, begging not to die and, bizarrely, laughing my lungs sore.

The panto rehearsals have begun, and I have been given free rain to ad lib some of my lines; the thing is, that my last rehearsal ended up just being me and Craig Methven, and adlibbing in front of Craig is like showing your chemistry homework to Stephen Hawking- you may have got the answers right and he might give you a smiley face, but you can't help but feel he'd have done it better.

Last night there was a fundraiser for Goblin's Story, which involved a Shrekian mixing of fairytales, as well as a Carterian reimagining of all those fairtale characters as horrible, deeply disturbed people: there was a cannibalistic fairy, a kleptomaniac leprechaun and a gingerbread man who kept handing out his children to other people to eat. The fundraiser took the form of an interactive adventure, in which participants went from one character to another, trading coins for information or necessary items and supposedly helping the characters along the way, but I couldn't help but feel that the real way to help these characters would have been industrial grade therapy.

And finally, I got lost while walking to the Omni centre on Saturday- I then got lost walking to Lothian Road on Sunday; these are both places I have been many times and I don't tend to consider the route as I'm walking there. But it seems I might have to start, because I discovered that roads don't seem to lead where I think they do. It's times like this that I remember I've actually only really been living in this city for a month and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment